All animals including human life on earth is possible due to plants. They provide materials for food, shelter, clothing, medicines etc. for everyone. Plants depend directly on natural resources of land, air, water, sun etc.
They are able to synthesize the essential materials for themselves, whereas, human beings derive these substances from plants directly or in-directly. Vegetation on earth appeared prior to animals in the course of their generation and evolution of life on earth.
More so, in the good old days, the persons with almost incurable communicable diseases like tuberculosis and leprosy were sent to hilly areas in sanatorium for dual benefits.
It prevented the spread of diseases and also cured them due to least pollution and fresh air with ozone. The saints who relinquished their home for meditation, used to proceed for Himalayan zone for independent atmosphere, use fresh plant material as food and enjoy the bliss of nature.
Presently the vegetation of earth is facing problems due to:
- Exponential increase in human population.
- Increasing industrialization
- Multiplication in facilities of roads, rails, dams etc.
- Diverse sources of pollution.
- Over exploitation of plants.
- Not much control on forest fires.
- Limited land area.
Plants are boon for mankind in following aspects:
- Plants and trees constitute real wealth of nature.
- Extend utmost care for health of present and future generations. All animals depend directly or indirectly on plants for nourishment.
- Plants are the sources of essential and non-essentials oils, amino-acids, vitamins, minerals.
- Plants transform radiation energy to chemical energy which can be utilized by animals for metabolism.
- Provide shelter to birds, insects and other form of wild life.
- Every green plant provides abundance of oxygen.
- Remove pollution due to carbon-dioxide, carbon monoxide, ammonia, hydrocarbons etc.
- Elimination of the deadly gases of HCN, Nitrous-oxide, Chlorofluorocarbons.
- Provide cooling in the atmosphere.
- Promote rains.
- Prevent soil erosion.
- Prevent floods and hurricanes.
- Protection from sound and radioactive pollution (UV-Rays).
- Improve fertility of soil.
- Plants provide 80 % of medicines, animals 10 % and minerals 10 %
- Green color is good for eyesight.
- Plants can convert marshy places and swamps into cultivable fertile land.
- Plants acts as sources of energy for kitchen, industries, fossil-fuel, bio-fuel etc.
- Forests provide wood for fuel, furniture, buildings and many more uses.
- Oils for cooking, lubrication etc. also obtained.
- Sources for gum, resins, latex and rubber.
- Paper for writing, printing, packing etc. is obtained from plants.
- Building material of canes and bamboo are useful for construction in area prone to earthquakes.
- Many colors for ink, dyes, natural paints etc. are obtained.
- Bio-fertilizers and Bio-pesticides are special plant products.
- Plants provide shelter and protection to wild life.
- Variety of flowers adds to the beauty of nature.
- Essential oils provide perfumes as rosemary, jasmine etc.
- Dry fruits in the form of almond, cashew nut, walnut, raisins, pistachio etc. are plant products.
- All the condiments like turmeric, coriander, fennel, pepper, cumin etc. are components in cooking.
- Honey is mainly derived from nectar of the flowers.
- Even the major parts of fast food like noodles, macaroni, pasta, burger, pizza etc. are obtained from plant materials.
- Although the intoxicants of opium, datura, aconitum, santonin etc. are plant products but these should be used properly for medicinal purpose.
- Nature is the real heritage, whereas, money, status and prestige are temporary.
- Our ancestors even worshiped certain trees in the form of gods to develop respect for plants.
- Algae and other green plants in ponds, rivers, lakes and sea provide aeration, food, defence etc. to aquatic animals.
- Provide livelihood to millions of people.
- Carrying capacity of the environment can be increased through intense and regulated vegetation.
- Kitchen in every house requires vegetables.
- Cattles which provide milk and other products depend directly on plants.
Human beings are the supreme creation of God on earth. They have the important responsibility to nurture the nature not only for themselves but also for other living beings.
Thus man also is a part and parcel of nature and should not consider himself as its master. Plants have the qualities to grow and re-produce themselves under proper conditions of the environment. Such growth is always in-disciplined and haphazard. But if the human beings own this liability to raise the crop fields, forests, gardens etc., the earth shall flourish as well managed decorated planet.
Thus accept it as prime duty:
- Each one, plant one.
- Grow plants as per needs and requirements.
- Keep proper spacing and management.
- Take care for watering and weeding.
- Use good fertilizers.
- Protect the plants from pests and harmful animals.
- Prevent over exploitation through wicked persons.
- Try to keep at least ten potted plants in your home.
- Our national flag has green color at the base to indicate that green plants support all forms of life, thus it is important that everyone should try to grow and maintain vegetation.
- National forest policy of 1952 states that 1/3 of geographical area should be under forests. The Forest Conservation Act of 1980 (amended in 1988), strict penal provisions are given against violators. Therefore, everyone should be aware and sensitive to afforestation.
Dera Sacha Sauda Sirsa has launched 102 tasks of social welfare for the progress of humanity under the noble guidance and blessings of His Holiness Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Ji Insan.
The responsibility of planting new trees and their proper care is performed through dedicated services of devotees on voluntary basis. Millions of perennial trees are being planted every year. The saplings are grown in the fields much before their actual transplantation. Certain young plants are also procured from govt.
nurseries and other private agencies. Dera Sacha Sauda Sirsa, has the honor of winning the first position in the whole world for planting the largest number of trees. The achievements have been recorded in the Guinness Book of World Record 1,945,535 plants have been enabled on 15.08.2011 with 243191 saplings just in one hour by 340200 participants in 408 locations across India.
Hence it is suggested to go green before you face red, the dangerous situation of drought, floods, famine or devastation.
Dr. Triloki Nath Chugh Insan, Co-ordinator, Shah Satnam Ji Educational Institutions, DSS, Sirsa (Haryana).