CAREER IN VETERINARY SCIENCE
Veterinary Science is a part of Biology (Life Science).
In this adequate information regarding the animals is given.
We study about their physical structure, the diseases prevalent in the animals, and the diseases which can be contagious to the mankind.
Their treatment is also included in this. The knowledge regarding their life actions and lifestyle is also imparted.
The study of the subjects of Bio-chemistry, Anatomy, Microbiology, Microsurgery , Nutrition and Medicine is included in Veterinary Science.
The syllabus of the Veterinary Science is based on Allopathy. The course is of 5 years duration including U.G. and P.G. Levels. It is distributed in 10 semesters. In the first three semesters, the knowledge of Natural subjects is given.
The half part of the study is based on practical or the student himself has to do the work. The study involves lectures, experiments, group discussions, Seminar, sorting out the problems and working in the Veterinary Hospitals. In five year course, six months training is also included. In this the degree of Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (BVSc and A.H.) is awarded. This degree is equivalent to MBBS.
PG course is of two years duration. Like any other course, Veterinary Science also has degree of MVSc. For research, PG degree is essential. Both the courses are available in main Universities and Institutions of the country and have recognition from The Council of Veterinary Sciences.
For Entry in UG course, the candidate should be a science student with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects in 12th class. In some cases English can also be a subject for Entrance Examination. Candidate should have secured at least 50% marks and he/she should not be below 17 years of age. Admission Criteria: At UG level, the admission can be taken in two ways:.
- The Council of Veterinary Science conducts entrance examination all over India. Through this the candidates get admissions in the Universities or Institutes. 15% seats are filled through the Council in each University and Institute. The selection is done on merit basis.
- The Universities and institutes also conduct a competitive exam. Here also the criteria of admission is on merit. Most of the seats are reserved for the the candidates of that particular state. For MVSc Course, the Competitive exam is directly conducted by the University or the Institution. The Council of Veterinary Sciences does not conduct the exam.
After completion of this course, immense employment opportunities are there. In this field you can have name fame and money also. It gives mental satisfaction also. These are the different fields: Government Employment: Appointment on the post of Veterinary Officer or P.C.S. Officer in the Veterinary Hospitals, Butchery and Vaccination Centre under State Governments.
In Indian Army and Border Security Force.
Central Breeding Farms:
Like Animal/Cow Farms and Poultry Farms In Indian Administrative and Allied Services by UPSC or Public Service Commissions In Intelligence Bureau for the treatment of Dogs etc.
Semi Government Employment:
- In Insurance Sector
- In Banks
- In Regional Dairy Federations
- In Autonomous Organizations
- In Education and Research, State Agricultural University, Universities of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry.
- Research Institutes like Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Animal Husbandry and Poultry Farms
- Horse Farms
- Medicine and Vaccination Institutions
- Animal Food and Forage and Hen Food Industry
- Medicine Production Industry
- Hospitals run by Trusts
- The pay scales of the officials related to this Course are very attractive.
- An Animal Husbandry Officer gets the scale equivalent to MBBS Doctor.
- Promotion is done on the basis of qualification and experience. There is no income limit for self employed personnel in this field. There are four Veterinary Animal Husbandry Universities. They are in Chennai, Kolkata, Mathura and Nagpur.
There are 36 Veterinary Colleges in the country. These are under State Universities. For All India Entrance Examination, the candidates can contact the Office of the Indian Council of Veterinary Science, A Wing, August Kranti Bhavan, Bhikaji Cama Place, New Delhi.