Even though the rice is a staple food of few parts of India, it is adopted in the entire country. Preferred for main course, rice is widely served and cooked in restaurants as well as homes. There are varied preparations that could be made out of rice. People at major times consider rice a good meal choice for either lunch or dinner or even both.
One of the favourite preparations made out of rice is the Pulav. Pulav is a simple and less time consuming dish.
It can be either sweet or spicy. It is usually served with either chutney or rassam. Obne of teh easiest preparations is the Veg Pulav with Cauliflower. It is easy to make and tasty to eat. Here is a recipe of spicy Veg Pulav with Cauliflower for casual as well as special occasions.
• Basmati rice – 1 cup
• Fresh thick curds – 1 cup
• Oil – 2 ½ tbsp
• Bay leaf – 1
• Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
• Cloves – 2
• Ginger paste – ½ tsp
• Cauliflower – 1
• Capsicum (cut into 1 inch strips) – 1
• Fresh peas – ¼ cup (Shelled)
• Tomatoes – 3 (diced)
• Salt – as required
• Coriander leaves – 1 small bunch (Grind Separately)
• 8 Green chillies
• Spice Powder (Fry both with ½ tsp of oil and grind to smooth paste)
• Fry equal amount of cinnamon and cardamom in powder and ghee
• Wash rice in fresh cold water and let it soak for duration of 10mins.Fry the rice in half tsp of ghee till it absorbs the moisture for 2-3 mins draining all the water.
• Separate the cauliflower into large flowerets. Take a separate vessel and heat the water in it. When the water starts to boil add to it cauliflower and peas.
• Take little amount of oil and fry capsicum in it. Keep this aside.
• Take off the vessel from fire closing the lid. Drain the water completely after 5-10 mins.
• Take some oil in a pressure cooker and fry the required spices of garam masala as per the taste. Post this, add ginger paste and after a little while, put chopped tomatoes.
• When the mixture starts to become pulpy, add grinded chilli paste. Later, add beaten curd along with a cup of water.
• When the entire mixture starts to boil, add salt, capsicum, peas and rice to it.
• Lower the flame and pressure cook the mixture for 7-10mins.
• Remove the lid and then gently place the powder of garam masala,finely chopped coriander leaves and a tsp of ghee and serve hot.